Thread: Ouch
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
KevinH1990

Rick V

I think we met when I sold you my CDR-220.

Here's an alternative that I have been considering:

There is a gentleman in New Jersey named Peter Serbanica. He charges $410 to install a top.

I asked him if I removed the frame and shipped it to him would he put a top on for me and ship it back. He said he would. Since the most expensive GAHH top (German canvas, glass window) is $1084, your total cost would be about $1500 plus shipping.

Mr. Serbanica has not done this before, and he told me he is concerned about breakage of the glass in shipping. If you replace with a plastic window this would not be an issue and it would also be less expensive.

Of course you would also be without a top for a while. (I have a hard top so it is not a big issue for me.) If your wife has another car, you could perform the replacement when she is planning to use her other car.

I understand that it is a fairly easy job to remove the top and frame, but I haven't done it so you will assume any risk of your action. (In fact I was hoping someone would pioneer this procedure with Mr. Serbanica before me to make sure it works.)

If you really want to save some money, here's a guy selling a Robbins top in Virginia Beach: http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/780010028.html

If you use my plan and the Robbins top you can cut your cost of "keeping momma happy" in half.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 08-12-2008 at 04:06 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote