View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008, 02:41 AM   #30
sfkjeld

Garage
What timing

My immaculate 2000 S with 33k engine blew on the San Mateo bridge last Tuesday. 500 miles after a major service. There were no issues with the car, no warning, just a plume of smoke and oil everywhere.

Slipped sleeve is the diagnosis. Looking at $15-17k to replace. Porsche of America jerked me around pretending to be sympathetic. Insisted I tow the car to a dealer (it was originally towed to a fine Porsche independent shop in San Carlos). The dealer confirmed the diagnosis, but Porsche summarily declined my request within minutes, to help with the repair.

The car is on Craigslist now, selling it as a roller.

Have come a long way this week. Had been a 20yr Porsche enthusiast, PCA member, owner of 3 911's, etc. Now I hate this slimey company and think these Boxsters are junk. Criminally expensive junk.

If you have one, assume the position and get someone to sell you a warranty. Otherwise, get your 986 on Craigslist as quick as you can. These cars are not worth the risk.

I was told there was talk of a class action suit on this forum. Did that get anywhere? If there was ever a case for one, this seems to be it.
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote