Thread: Why not NOS?
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
fragdude

Spraying a car that is used reguarly just does not sound like a good idea. I have heard some horror stories about using nitrous (one involves the crank coming out of the block).

What I do know about nitrous is that it adds oxygen to the fuel/air (for those that know chem N02) mixture which creates a more intense explosion plus the release of the bonds from the no2 mixture. This in turn creates power (which we all love). But it effects the parts of the engine. I assume its like putting a turbo in that adds the same amount of power. The seals get worn, the bottom end gets tested and the engine gets worn out because when it comes down to it the engine isn't meant to take much more power than what it puts out.

I think asking, "what happens to the engine when you spray it," is like asking the same question for turbos/super chargers. The engine isn't meant to put out 50% more power than it does normally. If it was, it would probably put it out stock.

As much as I would love to see someone spray their car, I would cringe just as much. If you want more power just get a turbo. Its more expensive, but I would argue that its not as bad and you don't have to refill a tank. Or if you have the $$ just get a bigger motor.

I personally have no need for more power. I raced an m3 today on the highway and I kept up with him from 65 to 130 (neck and neck). Granted he would dust me from a stand still, but I could have bought an m3 instead if I cared that much about traffic light racing....

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote