Thread: Carbon hood
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
Kirk

I don't think it's real feasible to do "pure cf" for $800 - $1,000. I mean that's a GREAT price!!! I suspect that the cf hood I have only has the outer layer in cf and the core is probably fiberglass mat. Still it's much lighter than stock. But to do it all in cf at the current cost of that material is going to be very pricey.

Fitment could be a real problem too. If you study some of the pics of 996's and 986's on the Net with a cf hood you'll see that most of them bulge in the middle. I fixed mine with some dzus fasteners in the middle of the hood, but still it's a potential issue as obviously TRG still hasn't gotten it right.

Bottom line though, look through this forum and see how many other Boxster owners have a cf hood. There are two that I know of, including myself. How many Boxster owners on the Net even have a cf trunk? Again there are only two that I know of - Danny in the SF Bay area and "Boxster Boy". I don't think you'll get much interest as exterior cf bits are considered too "rice" for a fine German car. Now interior cf bits are the bomb though.... which is funny to me as the interior bits are completely for show and offer no weight savings (just cf laminates) while a cf hood does offer a real weight advantage.
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote