View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 05:58 AM   #32
Ike

Breakin Strategy

Hey Manxie,

Now you got it! Drive like you are trying to ditch Joey Dunlop! Did you ever see that video of him doing a lap on the TT on your Isle with a Helmet Cam? It was freakin' insane, him rubbing the helmet on the stone walls at 100+mph!!!!

The manual instructions for the breakin period of the Porsche engine is written for the general public. It is idiot proof, with the 1st priority the engine's welfare. There is nothing wrong with the manual's approach, it just can be done faster.

I recently broke in an x51 3.6L engine in my '03 Boxster S on the advice of the pros at RUF. The objective of the breakin was to suck down the piston rings as hard as possible. They said it could be done in 200 miles if done proper. Their instructions were to run up the revs and compression brake the engine - get completely off the throttle - as much as possible. They were not worried about getting into the 4-7k range, just do not stay there under power, let off, and brake the engine.....downshift, and brake some more.....downshift.... I got into a hilly part of Texass on a 2 lane and ran up and down the gears and speeds all afternoon. Boy did it make for bad gas mileage. The x51s are hand built tight tolerance engines. By the time I made it to New Mexico, the engine was spinning much easier. I had another 1000 miles of 2 lane trippin' mapped out to get home, and I started pouring the coals to it.....varying revs all the way.

Happy Trails,
Ike
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote