View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
Kirk

I just wanted to add to this thread since some of these LED turn signal bulbs are now making it onto the shelves of your local auto parts stores (AutoZone, Kragens, etc.). Like PoPo I bought a non-standard bulb, in my case the 1156, with the incorrect prong spacing. It's just barely off though, so you can simply bend back the bulb socket to fit them in and then bend or clamp the socket back into place to hold the bulb tight. I did this instead of sanding down one of the prongs like PoPo. Here's a pic of what I bought for $17. They're red instead of yellow, but that's legal (in the back only) in California any way:

And here's a before and after comparison of the change, note how the yellow disappears around the standard filament turn signal bulb.

BEFORE

AFTER

Some posts I found said these bulbs would not fit in the OEM housing or work with the OEM wiring. Mine fit fine and worked fine, but obviously in an aftermarket housing. The output is below that of the filament bulb, but I still think acceptable, although on the marginal end.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote