View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 06:55 AM   #1
Tomkreiner

Exclamation Multiple Alternator Failures???

My '02 Boxster (with Tip) alternator went out one month ago, at around 34,800 miles since new... but at 6 years of age. As I got into the car for a good price, it didn't bother all that much to replace one item.

So, I read this forum, and located a brand new looking - but sold as remanufactured - alternator from AutoZone. It turns out the label inside stated "Rebuilt by Robert Bosch," so I wasn't displeased with the appearance or cost. This was the best quick way to put in a new alternator at around $280. including taxes, with only a 4 hour wait to get the part. Lots of effort to put it in tho, as it's difficult to juggle in and out. The best part about this is that the alternator has a lifetime warranty.

Now, about a month or 6 weeks later, I have a dead alternator again.

Other than the battery light, which came on suddenly, the only other symptom of a possible electrical problem is that the left turn signal arrow on the instrument cluster would glow lightly when high beams were on at night. (If you remember the 6V Beetles, they did the same thing, which meant high resistance on the ground terminal.)

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to go thru this again in 6 more weeks.

Thanks in advance for the help...

'60 356A coupe
'60 VW 'vert (356 SC engine)
'02 Boxster
Tomkreiner is offline   Reply With Quote