View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
23109VC

thanks for the info.

part of why i ask - is that *IF* I do get a used boxster, and I just "accept" that i might get an IMS failure and need a new motor - I can know what my options will be.

what is the general cost - to get one of these large motors put in?

lets say I don't go crazy and get a RUF motor - but just go to the dealer and say "put in the newer engine from the 911".

is it going to cost me a lot more than what it would cost to put in the same boxster engine? my dad is offering to sell me his 2000 base. it has the 2.7 motor with 73k miles. i coudl pick it up pretty cheap - like 13-14k. if i drove that around for a year or two, and it made it that far - i'd either get my "money's worth out of it" and eventually sell it - or I'd wind up another victim of IMS failure and have to put in a motor.

if I were to take that car, walk into the porsche dealer and get a quote for either the same 2.7 motor OR the larger 911 egnine - is it basically the same cost? can the dealer put in the larger 911 engine? or do I pay big time through the nose to "upgrade" to the larger engine and do I have to find custom shops to do it?

do you get any kind of warranty on these porsche motors? are they truly NEW or are they rebuilds?

i can imagine a boxster that weighs around 2900-3000 lbs would be a frickin rocket with a 300+ hp motor.

from my quick research, it looks like the 3.4L 911 motor that would go into a 2000 base Boxster - is rated at 300 hp, 258lb torque. that's pretty powerful...but any more so than a new boxster S? i don't think so...so I"m guessing that for tha tminey, essentially my 2000 boxster would perform similarly to a new boxster S....in terms of raw acceleration... excpet my car would have a 5 speed, not a 6.

is that good or bad - to have a 5 speed that was meant to go with a 2.7 mated up to a large rmore powerful motor vs having the S's 6 speed??

does all that power upset the balance of the car? like others have said - the balance of the car is what is so fun. when I drive my dad's car, it's only rated at 217 hp. it feels quick, but by no means is it "FAST". but when an onramp comes up, or a set of twisties - OMFG. the combo of 18s, M030, and balance - the thing is FLAT, and just goes through the turns like nothign I"ve ever driven before. it is literally glued to the road...i love it. i'd hate to make the car into some spin out prone type of car because the power overwhelmed the car..

or does the car drive just the same, only way faster.

Last edited by 23109VC; 07-21-2008 at 10:42 AM.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote