Thread: 6% off MSRP?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2005, 03:32 PM   #19
Brucelee

Talking

My experience as a buyer and seller on EBAY for Autos is limited. I bought one car through EBAY but it was a local car and i was able to check it out personally before I bid.

I have sold two cars through EBAY but not at auction. Two local buyers saw my cars on EBAY and bought them directly from me after the auction closed. In both cases, they were able to check the car out directly and in one case, the person has the car inspected by the local Porsche dealer before buying. This was a $44K 911 and I think this buyer was very very prudent in his purchase.

The fact is that most EBAY sellers are honest I would bet. However, the cost of most cars would dictate a very prudent approach and buying a car sight unseen seems fool hard at best. NO amount of pictures or descriptions can do the can justice.

Since I inspect cars for a living, I hope you believe me when I say that this is NOT an easy process and many cars can make fools of even pros like me.

Imagine how tough it would be to do this over the INET>

Obviously, buying a new car over the Net is a totally different issue and I think that is a very wise way to go.

In summary, I would consider EBAY to be a national ad but I would not expect to actually sell a car through the auction process. Percentage wise, this just does not happen that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard
Brucelee, have you had good experiences with Ebay in the past? Is this a case of a few bad apples? I want the buyer of my car to have a good feeling about their new Boxster. It is my intent to point out the shortcomes as well as the strong points of this car. I am 100% on the up and up and might be upset if it was not for the fact that we have all heard these horrors before, the "infomation age" has sure created a whole new pond of scum.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote