View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
23109VC

3.6 motor swap into 986 base or only S?

I am shopping for a boxster. I am NOT looking to do a motor swap - NOW.

but I am considering buying a newer car that is CPO - and AVOIDING any motor issues out of MY pocket...but I'll spend more money.

Another option is to find a 986 car that I like - get it CHEAP, and drive it like I stole it - for as long as the car holds together....and just KNOW that if/when it blows up, I will get a big nasty bill for a new motor - BUT when I do have to do the motor, I can spend the money to install a bigger more powerful engine.

My question is this: what kind of motors are you all putting into the 986 cars? Is it a 911 engine? does it essentially drop right in within minimal problems or is it a major nightmare install that has to go to some custom shop? or the dealer could do it?

ALso - are there different choices as to what motor to put INTO the car and does it make a difference WHAT kind of car I have as to WHAT motor I can put in down the road when I upgrade?

Like if I have a 986 BASE vs a 986 S - does it affect what engine I can or cannot put into the car? one will have a 5 speed, one a 6 speed - does it then affect it?

essentially - if I can find a 986 that I like - I might be able to get it pretty cheap, and then just bank the money I save into an account and figure whenever the motor grenads - then i'll pay and get a mch more powerful engine..

I"m assuming a 986 wiht a 3.6 must scream. but I honestly don't know how much hp that engine has - and my bigger questio - is should I be focusing on a certain YEAR or MODEL of 986 so I have MORE or BETTER options open to me if/when I ever have to upgrade the engine???

thanks.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote