Thread: 6% off MSRP?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2005, 11:57 AM   #10
Perfectlap

I was referring to the the private owner selling price. Most consumers (I personally know) think of this price when they discuss the value of their used car they intend to sell. Most people I know who are not extremely wealthy and busy wouldn't ever trade in a car so they never refer to the retail trade-in value when they are figuring out the bluebook value.

And I'm not saying his 1995 968 is worth $19K, Kelley BB says it is.
(since he's from LI I put in NY when I ran the calculator)

Sure he might not find a buyer right away but the generally accepted guideline is the one put forward by the KBB. I'm not an economist so I can't say what the true woprth of a particular car is (whatever that means) but since most people don't know the auto business as well as dealers and at the same their is great distrust of auto sales industry, they turn to a third party to tell them what is "fair value" for a car.

A set of Carrera 5 spoke wheels can be purchased any day on Ebay for $3,000 with tires. Yet no one ever bids. Yet the seller has determined that $3,000 is the fair market value. Porsche believes it to be higher. Does this mean the wheels are not worth $3,000 because they are relisted week after week without a buyer? I've always thought of worth to be the amount of money I can recoup if I decide to sell without using/wearing down the product.

At some point a consumer with the money to spend on a nice set of new Carrera 5 spokes will make the purchase and no one will say that since he bought wheels that were sitting around for months, that he was ripped off for paying $3,000.

I guess their are two perspectives on "worth" what the consumers believe and
what the auto industry believes. Unless you are buying a Saturn(if they still do that).

By the way the car's I've sold for many friends, lend them to believe I do know what I'm talking about when I say how much their cars will bring in. Because so far with online auctions/ads its ALWAYS been higher than what either the KBB told them it was worth (to them as private sellers) or what the local used car lot guy offered them.

The ebay pricing for used car's often differs with the audience that car has.
Allot of conservative people don't feel comfortable buying a Boxster in an Ebay auction thus the bids come from a certain type of buyer, one that has greater trust in the internet than a more traditional buyer. An older 911 may have a different type of audience as well, one that regularly buys used parts from the internet and has much more experience with online purchasing. Those buyers will propbably be more likely to bid on an older 911. Than the buyer of a Boxster.
The point is that even within the same Brand the buyer of one model might be more willing to buy than the buyer of another model.
Its all becoming more complex with every passing day.

BUT DON"T TRADE IN YOUR CAR
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-18-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote