Thread: 6% off MSRP?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 03:03 PM   #4
Brucelee

Let me disagree with you.

For folks who hate to sell a car, a trade-in may be worth the financial impact of that decision. Many do this with no regrets.

Your statement about 50% of blue book is not correct. Are you saying that a Porsche with a 40K retail value will trade at 20K? If so, you are wrong.

Selling cars on EBAY is not easy for most and most cars on EBAY actually do not sell by auction close. Nor do the EBAY sales yield much money for the seller. Most times, the seller ends up getting about trade value based on my detailed analysis of Porsche sales. Most times the bids actually don't reach that mark.

I don't like to be disagreeable but your information is mostly all wrong.

Having said that, a patient seller who sells their own car locally SHOULD end up with thousands more in their pocket than from a trade in. Some of that might be offset via sales tax offsets but in general, a prudent, patient seller can do much better.

Just not on EBAY.

BTW-many ebay auctions that end with a winner end up having the winner bail on the deal. Then you start again anew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
trade in?

the conventional wisdom is that trading in a car is not a good practice. I've sold many used cars on Ebay and ALWAYS made more than the blue book value.
If you trade in your 95 Porsche you will be lucky to get even 50% of the blue book value. So in essence you are negotiating a discount on your new Boxster and then giving the savings right back to the dealer when you sell them your old Porsche at such a low price. And by sound of it, your old Porsche is in nice shape.
As far as Porsche's go on Ebay, there are more buyers than good product.

I know it can be a hassle selling a used car but the beauty of selling cars on the internet is that you can sell your car to someone in another part of the country and you'll never see them or the car again. They even have a service that will send a truck to pick up the car and ship it to the new owner, all at his expense.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote