View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #24
Mcassola

1997 Boxster Blown Engine

For what it's worth..I purchased a 1997 model with 19k on it about 4 years ago and blew an engine at about 37k. I'm pretty sure it was the sleeve issue as opposed the shaft going bad. Anyway, thank God I purchased an extended warranty through the local porsche dealer (Tech Serve Tech 4 policy) for about $2.7k that pretty much covered everything on the car except the convertible top.

The extended warranty paid the roughly $15k for the new engine after their inspector came out to look at the engine a few times to make sure i was not flogging the hell out of it....or an accidental mechanical over-rev.

[B]My point is this: Do not even think about buying/owning any German car (i.e., BMW, Audi, VW or Porsche) unless it is under warranty. I have bought several of these cars in my lifetime and the extended warranty has always paid for itself many times over. Spend the extra money and get the warranty....you will sleep better at night knowing that if something goes wrong, it's going to cost you NO more than the $100 deductible and that's it. These warranties are also transferrable to a new owner when you go to sell it. The new owner can buy the car worry free. You may also cancel the warranty and the company will send you a pro-rated refund based on time and miles left.

Happy safe motoring to everyone who reads this.

MRC
Mcassola is offline   Reply With Quote