View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
AddictionRacing

Angry Another one bites the dust - value??

May 15th (six and a half weeks ago) I was elated to bring home my new-to-me '99 boxster with 65,700 miles on it. I bought it as a present to myself for my 26th birthday after dreaming about Porsche ownership for the last 19 years. (My dad has had 911s since I was 7). I got what I thought was a good deal on the car ($2000 under private party book value) and took it to my mechanic for a check-up. The bill was $1600 for the 60k service, front brakes, and spark plug tubes and seals. I was also aware as I picked it up that they wanted to change the ignition switch and figure out why the idle was high, but I wanted the car back and really didn't want to spend more money on it so I took it.

Two weeks later I drove the car to work with the top down and when I pulled in to a spot and tried to put the top up nothing happened. I thought it was the e-brake switch and it could be fixed for $160 or so and dropped it off at the shop again. This time the ignition switch had to be done and since the check engine light was back on I had them figure out why the idle was funky. I got it back with a new ignition switch, idle air control valve, and Mass Air Flow sensor for another $1400. At this point I'm $1000 over book value and the car runs great, so I'm happy.

June 29, after having the car back from the second visit for 10 days, I was having a great time at a PCA autocross in Hartford. I took an instructor for a run to see if I was good enough to become an instructor myself, and got approved. As I pull off the autocross course I heard an odd clanging noise that sounded as if a piece of metal was bouncing around in my engine or transmission, so I shut it off, called AAA, and had it flat-bedded back to the car's favorite place, the shop. At first they said they couldn't replicate the noise, but then were able to and weren't sure if it was engine or transmission.

Today I got the dreaded call. The motor is blown. Intermediate shaft failure. $11k for a new factory motor installed. $15k for a new factory 3.4 motor installed. Or, the shop may be willing to buy the car from me as a roller.

What should I do?
What is the car worth as a roller?
It is not a good day to be me.
AddictionRacing is offline   Reply With Quote