View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
JCL12

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello
I wonder how the end game plays out at Valmet.
a. The contract is going away and the workers know it, but
b. You want to keep a good reputation for future contracts, sooo

Do the final units at Valmet run any risk of QC issues?
I would be concerned with elevated QC issues from today until contract end. I think Valmet just lost THE major contract for them and porsche production probably occupies most of their capacity.

As a result, I would expect morale to take a substantial hit. If something like this happened at the plant I work at, where the contract you are known for is at end of life, everyone would be ____ a brick. Anytime the workforce knows their job security and futures are at stake, this will take a mental toll on everyone and add to stress and reduce concentration. Furthermore, it will demoralize people and they will lose loyalty to their assembly work for Pcar.

In addition, I would expect a lot of quality challenges at the start of manufacture at any new facliity. Making a complex system like a car to perform at the quality level you or I would want over the lifespan of product we need is not easy. If the work is sub-'d out I would be very worried at the startup production. If it moves to stuttgart (yeah right lol) where they have past experience on fnal assembly and make many of the lower level assemblies (engines, brakes, etc) I would not be as concerned.

Anybody know what they are thinking for future assembly? More sub out or bring in house. If they sub out more, I would interpret this as more cost trimming as opposed to anger over delivery on production schedule, quality, meeting reqs. from original contract SOW, etc etc
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote