View Single Post
Old 06-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
Frodo

Quote:

"As for the white specs, if those are chips those can be minimized as well. There's a technique where you use the back of a nuber 2 pencil eraser. You take a 3 hole punch and cut out piece of 2000 grit sand paper, glue it to the eraser. Sand the chip hole by turning the pencil into the hole so that is flat. fill the chip hole with touch up paint (Langka paint pen), enough that it forms a little paint pimple. Wait an hour or two for it to cure and then take the 2000 grit sand paper and sand it down so its flush. Voila. You then wax the surface with an acrylic wax with fillers.
If the specs are just contamination it will come out with the proper amount of torque from a porter cable or Cyclo polisher ($130-$200)."

Posted by Perfectlap.

When you say sand the chip til it is "flat", how flat are we talkin'? So flat that if you ran your finger over it, it would be imperceptible? (Ie sanding a relatively large area?) Or are you just talking about just knocking off the sharp edges of the chip?

I have some factory (seal grey) touch up paint, and also recently got some "Dr. Colorchip" that I was thinkin' about trying underneath in front, where I stupidly picked up dozens of very small parallel scratches when I did a quick turn into a driveway that had a little more slope to it than I realized. I figured I'd try this first (since regular "touch-up" techniques would be impractical---too many scratches, I need to be able to just smear the paint in these. Mostly for protection anyway, since no one's going to be able to see them anyway.) Then, if I liked the Dr. CC, I might try it on the (more visible) rock chips on top. If not, can go with the factory paint touch-up.

Once done, I was planning on following with the super fine wet sanding down to level, then Poorboys SSR 2.5, then Menzerna Final Polish. Sound like a reasonable plan? Or should I do MIP in between the other two polishes?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote