Thread: Just Ranting
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2005, 09:20 PM   #2
Perfectlap

I once told myself I would never buy a Boxster. If I was going to plunk down big bucks for a car it would have to be the 911.
Well I didn't know what the hell I was talking about back then. Like most people..
Buying a cabriolet Porsche in my book is for old guys or Britney spears.
Which leaves only one choice if you want a drop top and a Porsche: The 986

IMO, The Boxster and the 911 are two completely different engineering/design principles.

One car was orginally designed to be a convertible the other was not.

I blame Porsche for not marketing this point enough. But they were in desperate need of a car to sell to the masses to save the entire operation from going the way of the Tucker (extinct). Porsche wasn't interested in making any points other than "look we made a CHEAPER Porsche, PLEASE BUY IT SO WE CAN PAY THE ELECTRIC BILL!" Well like the Miata, Porsche missed an oppourtunity to educate consumers on the enourmous engineering that went into creating this car. The Miata is probably the most sought after car for new racing drivers yet its still seen as a chick car. No mention of its excellent chasis, equal weight distribution,light weight,precise shifting,great power to weight, and bullet proof reliability, its still to this day after years of club racing, a chick car.

I once read an interview with the head of Porsche UK in which he said "well the first time Porsche buyer will generally buy a Boxster and then later on move up to the 911 ". I thought he should have been fired for saying that. Until I read an interview with 18 year old Patrick Long (American racing driver) in which he said that off track the Porsche racing apprentice drivers are given Boxsters and the fully inducted drivers are given 911's. "you have to pay your dues before you get the 911".
I now see where this misguided feeling that Boxster is a stepping stone comes from: Porsche.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote