View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
Jaxonalden

Garage
If I can give my opinion on the subject.

Oil does not have an expiration date. I've never heard of such nonsense. If oil did have an expiration don't you think the black crap we pump out of the ground would be worthless?
The reason for the time & mileage change of oil is because of contaminates and viscosity breakdown. Man made synthetics don't suffer viscosity breakdown like crude oil does but it does still get contaminated. The contamination comes from cold engine start-up when the fuel is enriched to keep the engine running until the pistons, rings, cylinders and valves heat up, expand and seal. Until then blow-by is occuring. It also comes from time and weather change in the form of condensation (water) on the inside of the block. Then there's the dirt and carbon that oil picks up on its way through the engine, building up as time goes by. This combination can also make an acidic mixture.
The way to combat this is to run the car for extended periods to burn off the contamination and storing the car in a climate controlled environment. Short runs and not letting the engine get up to temperature build it up.

I think what your computer is telling you is that the internal clock, not mileage, has gone off and it's time to change the oil.