Thread: Ignition switch
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #20
trogdor

I recently noticed the key behaving strangely in the ignition where the gongs when the key is left in continue even when its removed, the blower motor for the A/C didn't work at all and finally a dead battery. A quick search revealed this thread that I remembered from awhile back and everything is pretty much as stated. I bought the ignition switch from a VW dealer - it was the Audi part as described and replaced the exact same Audi part that was originally installed. It's about 45 bucks with tax now. Ignition Switch, Audi part # 4A0 905 849 B

I will say drink a few beers before you attempt to tackle this... the scrapes and bruises on your arms won't hurt as much that way. Man - this was the tightest clearance to fit a tool I've ever had... I actually had my feet on the headrest for awhile trying to position myself so I could see the screws while working. It's really not a hard job at all, pull a tube out and loosen two screws but it still took 40 minutes.The money saved was worth it and now I can get the car to a PCA autox tomorrow (woohoo!) but trust me - drink the beers...

oh and it was mentioned earlier that the switch didn't look broken but had grease on the top... I noticed that the little plastic pin at the top was pushed in farther on the original broken one than on the new one... not sure what that means but it was different and I didnt bother lubing anything on the new one - seems smooth so far.

Last edited by trogdor; 05-23-2008 at 05:08 PM.
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote