View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 07:50 AM   #37
larryshomework

I just got back from the Dragon - I was in Knoxville visiting friends and did 2 separate days up there.

It's been over 20 years since I drove that road. I grew up in Knoxville and we used to go to Fontana or camp at Calderwood (just below the cool old damn near the Tapoco Lodge). Amazingly, the speed limit used to be 55 on the Dragon - virtually impossible to speed. The road used to have very little traffic. We even towed a boat up the Dragon.

Thursday was packed - hundreds of bikes and a Nissan Z club must have been there.

Several cops - patrols are up. I was stuck behind a line of bikes on the way up (South). On the way back out (North) I had several open areas where slower cars pulled over (thanks!). Also, I had to pull over to let a crotch rocket go by. He was flying!

On my drive back home (Alabama) I went back up on Sunday morning about 10am. Much lighter traffic. Only saw one cop and he was driving North (I was heading South). What a blast! Rarely got out of 2nd gear.

I also had my first trip on the Cherohala Skyway. This is a must drive if you go. I saw no cops on the trip. Great views. The temperature and weather changes as you get to the top (about 5400 ft.) so be prepared.

There are 2 groups (129photos and Zeefoto) that take pictures of you as you go through some turns on the Dragon. You can then buy the pics off their website. I took a few as well and I'll post them here in a few days.
larryshomework is offline   Reply With Quote