View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Gibson

RS60 Spyder (long)

Hi Folks,

After lurking for a time, I realized not much has been written on the RS60 Spyder of late. That surprises me. I recently picked up this very red example and wanted to share some impressions. As well as invite others who own (or maybe rejected) this tasty piece of Porsche machinery to pipe up.

(After all, RS60 has but a short season in the sun, soon to be forgotten as the 09's roll in)

Is this car a marketing ploy? Yes -- of course, what car isn't? -- but there's some authenticity there, a fine fable. More importantly the package suited my taste for a well put together, quick and somewhat unusual funster, arguably at a bargain price.

To be honest I wasn't really looking Boxster at first. Specing out a 911 the cost quickly reached nosebleed levels when all the nice bits were added up. (Could be heresy, but there's something unnatural about all that butt weight trying to swing itself around! ) In suburbia where I dwell, truly spirited driving is rare and fleeting; a convertible top offers a partial substitute at least.

There seems to be a sense around here that the RS60 can't be had at discount --- simply not true! Within a few short hours I had worked my deal for a substantial haircut (East Coast). Not a one had demanded list. True, most were shocked and demoralized to hear about my deal but they'll soon acclimate to reality. (True -- that was the very day Bear Stearns tanked.) 700 cars is a generous allotment to find homes in the US market during this short summer season.

My first P-car (owned a couple old Alfas long ago), I opted for the full treatment --Carrera red interior with the red top as well. Actually closer to a deep raspberry and impossible to capture accurately on photos -- don't trust the garish red photos. The red is tasteful esp with the 3D-GT Silver exterior but provocative enough to get the juices flowing. The embossed (perforated) leather bits seem to soften the color further. And the silver trim pieces all look fabulous (Sport Chrono a must if only for this reason).

Finally broken in (on a backroad trip last week from DC to Pittsburgh and back, 400 quality mi in one day, blasting by a Hillary stop in WV), the car now shrieks its full glory, most spine-tinglingly of all in the 4500-7000 rpm range. To me, sitting surrounded by acres of red leather amidst this sonic wave is the signature RS60 experience. Tunnels stimulate nirvana, tolls cheerfully handed over!

But life is brutish, harsh, and probably short on those 19-inchers (wife hates that part). I certainly would consider mere 18" if not for pure vanity. Sport shock setting -- strictly for masochists with solid dental work.

I could go on. But no doubt there are others willing to voice their RS60 pros/cons. Are you all still out there??
Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote