Thread: iPOD AUX
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 03:46 AM   #62
skip_168

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcoolone
Adding an audio input in vehicles with factory CD Changer required disconnecting the cd changer.
The following is a quick an easy solution for those who wish to play an iPod or Mp3 player on the stereo system without having to disconnect the cd changer.

The folks at discount car stereo.com have told me that they have verified this process using the SON-AUX electronic audio switcher.

The Son-aux is an electronic switcher with RCA-type input and output (jacks and plugs). In order for this to work the vehicle must have a BUS cable and separate audio cables (red/white) from the radio to the cd changer location in the trunk.

Take a look at the SON-AUX wiring diagram:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/son-aux2.pdf

1. Installation requires you disconnect the existing audio lines at the changer and connect them to the RCA jack on the SON-AUX (based on diagram its the RCA's at the top-- you will need an RCA adapter plug)
2. Connect the cd changer audio outputs to the Son-aux where it is labeled 1 "connect auxiliary device to RCA" you will need a short RCA cable)
3. Connect your audio device to Son-aux where is is labeled 2 "connect auxiliary audio device to RCA".
4. You will also need to connect the yellow wire to a constant 12V source and the black wire to ground.

How it works.
(Note: At least one "CD" must be loaded in the changer.)
1. Access your cd changer by pressing the button on the radio. The cd will begin to play.
2. To listen to your auxiliary device (iPod, MP3 etc) press play. The SON-AUX will interrupt the audio coming from the cd changer and switch to the auxiliary device.
Pause or stop the auxiliary device and after 10 seconds the Son-AUX will switch back to the cd changer. Its that simple.

A few tips.
iPod and MP3 users can use a simple 3.5 to RCA adapter cable. Use for audio only.
iPod only users can purchase a universal ipod cable which will play and charge your iPod via the dock connector.
Keep in mind that neither of the above cables will allow you to control iPod from the radio buttons.

Thanx dood! Works like a charm.. I don't use the CD changer, so I just disconnected the RCA connections.. so now I will wire in a 3.5 jack into the dash area somewhere...

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote