Thread: Why do a PPI?
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
t2-bxtrs

Cool why PPI ?

well this is a really good question.. Id' say PPI is only one layer of protection for the things that you miss or your own technician's oversight?. A PPI is also suggested if your mechanical/cosmetic aptitude is not as high.. A PPI is no guarantee that the dealer's technician would also take his time and REALLY evaluate the true condition of the car..It's like anything else, you pay the dealer $250 or more and hope that they give you an honest assessment, and not just check off all in their PPI checklist.. They just would'nt care !
The thing with Porsches' are they all look good inside,and the paint job especially the metallic once are topnotch.. You have to trust your instincts and visually go through the car.. original paint/doors close and open nice.. no sign or trace of abuse etc.. before you even take it for a test drive..
If you have access to a lift, check the under carriage carefully.. evidence of leaks..bottom scrapes(showing previous owner's abuse) c.v boots..etc..
I had an experience with a Land Rover dealer in V.A selling an 03' S salesman claiming MINT only 23K , and made an appointment for PPI at a dealer for me.. instinct told me to bring it to a shop i know.. soon as we lifted the car up.. Rear Bumper repainted and some primer residues left. screws/bolts on the bottom been turned.. means just been repaired.. etc.. salesperson does'nt have a clue of the car he is selling.. just wants to make a sale..
Well the good side of this story is i finally found myself an 04' S got the history myself after personnally checking it out and test drive, and after about 2k, has been completely satisfied so far ... with no PPI done by the dealer!!
With due diligence and a bit of Luck,and of course buying the latest 986 or 987 you can afford, can at the end give you a rewarding Porsche experience!

Last edited by t2-bxtrs; 05-10-2008 at 05:28 AM. Reason: correct spelling
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote