View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
2001saxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001saxster
Thanks for the info. The only reason I drove it home is because when i had first called the dealer about the flashing coolant light he said as long as it wasn't overheating I was fine. It never did. Of course all I did at that point was drive home. I left it in the garage all weekend and called the dealer first thing on Monday morning and he said again that as long as it wasn't overheating I ws OK to drive it in. I don't think it would have made any difference though. One of the things the dealer mentioned when we spoke yesterday was about of cruddy (for lack of a better word) consistency of what was left in the coolant tank. He said that was a sign of the oil and coolant having been mixed. I had already seen this in the tank the first time I topped it off which was well before the check engine light ever came on.
Thanks, but I doubt it would have made any difference. There was already some gummy mixture (oil) in the coolant tank when I topped it off as per the dealers instructions. I did not realize what it was at the time of course, figured it was dried coolant or something. This was after having driven a sum total of 8 blocks with only the low coolant indiactor flashing. The dealer also told me at that point that as long as the car wasn't overheating (it was not) I was fine. I drove the few miles home with the check engine light on with that advice in mind. Garaged it for the weekend and called the dealer first thing Monday morning. They told me bring it in on Wednesday. I asked if it was OK to drive in and they said Yes, as long as it doesn't start overheating. Just to be safe I didn't drive in between. It drove fine to the dealer then I got the bad news.
2001saxster is offline   Reply With Quote