View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
Chills

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Post PCA Driver's Education Day 5-7-2008

Well, it was pretty kick ass. The rain stopped just as the first novice group was getting onto the track. I was in group 3, so the track was pretty dry. My instructor drove 2 laps in my BoxS first off. I've gotta tell you I was scared and at 100% pucker factor when he was driving. Not that he was driving badly, he was amazing. I didn't know my car could do those things. These Boxsters are incredible machines.

He let me drive for the rest of the session and was impressed with how well I did. I nailed most of my turns after 1 lap. Having done about a dozen trackdays at Blackhawk on my sportbike helped because I knew the track well. One problem area I did have was braking to early for T1 and turning in too early for T6 and T7. On the bike I would brake at 4 where in the car you can brake at 2 or later. These things stop fast! Another area I needed to work on is letting the clutch out earlier. I felt great after that session and felt that I learned a lot.

By the second session I had a new instructor. My first one had engine trouble with is Cayman S and had to work on that. The new guy told me slightly different stuff, but was very helpful. I kept getting smoother and braking later for T1. I also got T6 down better. I was also getting better letting the clutch out and trying to blip the throttle. Another successful session.

The third session was very frustrating. I got another instructor. Before we even got in the car the instructor started criticizing my car. First it was the tires (two different brands front and rear, I bought it that way and wasn't going to change it for one DE event), then it was the stock seatbelts. I tried explaining that this was my first day and I didn't want to make a huge investment right away if I didn't like the track. Once on the track I found I didn't agree at all the instructor's instructing style. Where the first guys would say, "ok brake.... now turn in.... track out...." this instructor would say "BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE TOO EARLY TURN IN NOW TOO EARLY TRACK OUT FARTHER FARTHER FARTHER GAS GAS GAS GAS!!!!" It was irritating to say the least. Barking the orders didn't lead to smooth movements. The instructor had me do different lines on some turns than the first two guys, most notably T5. I wasn't comfortable at all with what the instructor was having me do there or on T7. After a few laps a 997 came up behind me in the carousel. I got a blue/yellow flag so right after I tracked out of T5 I signaled him to pass on my left. And the instructor yelled at me for that saying he was passing off line. I said I was online and the instructor said I wasn't. But I was and I even got back over to the left side of the track before making T6. The instructor lectured me for a few more minutes about that and I countered with my points which the instructor dismissed.

One lap (turning into T6) I let the clutch out too late which is something I know I've been trying to work on. The instructor's comment was, "did you just learn to drive a stick today?" The instructor was trying to be funny but it didn't come out that way.

Then we came up on a Mini and he broke early for T7. I was still about 5 car lengths behind (before the kink) so I didn't brake right away. The instructor yelled at me saying as soon as I see red lights no matter how far away I should brake. So a lap later an older Carrera broke early on T1 but I was about 7-8 car lengths back; I hit the brakes and the instructor yelled "TOO EARLY!!" I then started to turn in and told her the instructor just said to hit the brakes when I see red. The instructor then said, "I mean the turn in." I just shook my head because the instructor said too early before I even started my turn in so it was obvious the instructor meant the brake. I was frustrated the whole time and I didn't feel like I learned anything in that session. I didn't feel smooth at all, especially with the way the instructor was telling me to do things. And to top it all off the instructor criticized my shoes after we got back to the paddock. I just shook my head. I know these aren't racing shoes. I again repeated I am Day One and bought just the minimum for the day. That session almost soured my whole day.

I am not letting that one session cloud my experience, however. I had a great time and everyone was friendly and helpful. Big thumbs up to PCA and the Porsche Exchange for the event. I learned so much about what my car can do. I hope to get back on the track pretty soon, or at least some autocrosses.

I'll say it again, I am amazed at what these Boxsters can do. Props to Porsche for designing such a well-balanced machine.

My brother-in-law was there and took a bunch of pictures. I'll post them up as soon as he gets them to me.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote