View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
dgentileksu

Question New owner questions

I am a new owner of a 1998 Porsche Boxster, white w/black top and gray int, 60k. Totally new to the brand and getting ready to take the car on a 3000 mile road trip. I just bought it for my wife after trading in our ford focus. I got a deal that was too good to pass up, so I did not do a lot of research before the buy...

I have a slew of questions, so any answers or opinions of prior owners would be much appreciated.

1. It needs a RMS, and I want to take it on a three thousand mile roadtrip. I assume I should get this fixed beforehand, but have gotten conflicting advice. The dealer that did the 60k maint package said it was a small leak and that the worst that would happen would be slight spotting of my driveway. No big, but I read on one post that this small leak could lead to a blown engine! I planned on replacing it when I replaced the clutch at about 70-80k miles. Any advice?

2. There is a slight drip in the coolant tank. Dealer said not that big of a deal, 900 dollar fix. Should I also fix this now? Can I DIY this since 900 seems a bit much?

3. When I bought this car, I was looking for a daily driver for my wife. I wanted to get her a used Miata for ~ 10 grand, but when I got the Porsche for the same price, I could NOT pass it up! Does anyone use these as daily drivers and if so, how has it worked out? I will be in Mississippi for the next year, and it may be used to make long road trips. Any advice?

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Dave
dgentileksu is offline   Reply With Quote