View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_topher
is this similar to seafoam/GM Top End cleaner?

i've used both in various cars with great luck on high-mileage engines, but little-to-no gain in low-mid mileage cars.... used both in air intake/brake booster, not gas additive or oil additive

as for just a gas addititive, i prefer the lucas oil ones... as far as my reading goes it's the best to use..
Yes, both the Gumout and Seafoam use Petroleum distillate (JP5) as their primary ingredient.

One issue with people's loyalties to these products is that they get an older engine which usually has lots of deposits. They select a product, any product really. And since there is such a buildup of deposits, they all work to a degree and make the engine smoother.

Now if that same person tries another product, but without deposit buid-up to the same degree as before, the effects are less dramatic and the person reasons that the 'new' product is less effective when in fact it wasn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

I have to admit being guilty in my choice of the Lubro-Moly products. I chose them and they work well. They are highly endorsed by several Porsche, BMW and MB sources and owners, so I've stuck with them.

But, in general, I'm not an advocate of engine additives. I've seen through the years that proper, timely maintenance pretty much alleviates the need for them. The only reason I use them at all is that I store the car for 6 mos. or more each year - enough time for varnishes to be released from the gas. I could drain/purge the fuel system before storage as an alternative, but it's too much work and doesn't offer the same degree of corrosion protection since the tank is vented and moist air can migrate inside and cause corrosion.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote