View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
ut_cougar

BIIIIIG problem with main seal?

I accidentaly put gasket in the title, changed it so hopefully it reads "main seal" now.

Well, my 02 box S was in the shop for an air/oil seperator replacement a week or two ago. Went fine and fixed the problem. Then the idle starting going up and down and the car died, this started a week or two after the air/oil sep was replaced.

So yesterday I noticed fresh oil in the driveway and thought it might be the air/oil seperator not tightened, maybe something a bit loose or washer problem... took it to Porsche this morning and found out it was the main seal?

The tech said this is a common problem that occurs after the air/oil seperator is replaced? Anyone know about this? So the main seal is a BIIIIG HUGE deal to replace. The part is $80 and the labor is $2000 DOLLARS!!!!

I tend to trust the Porsche dealer but still wanted to ask on here if anyone knows if this is a common thing after the air/oil seperator goes? And if this might be the cause of my erradic up/down idle for 20 secs and then the engine dying? Or if I have three seperate problems all together- air/oil sep, main seal, and a third problem?

I was thinking about getting the throttle body cleaned, since this can be the cause of the up/down idle and dying... and since the air/oil sep went a couple weeks ago it might have thrown oil into the throttle body? Could that cause the throttle body to need cleaning?

Last edited by ut_cougar; 05-03-2008 at 03:03 PM.
ut_cougar is offline   Reply With Quote