View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #13
Grizzly

Nick! You're serious about this? Have you actually seen one on the road? My neice hit a Smart Car with her Barbie Corvette car last week, totalled the Smart Car and killed the driver. Remember the commercial a few years ago where the guy rents the two-door Speck...yeah, that'll be you.

Seriously, the Smart Car is not for this market. In Europe, they're probably the perfect thing, but here? Nah. The Country is too big. Our locations are too spread out. The traffic flow is too fast.

I did a search for a thread about the Smart, posted on another forum. I couldn't find the thread, but this was the gist. The guy ordered one and waited for delivery. When it came in he loved it. He loved the novelty and the attention he received. After the first few weeks he realized that the car didn't get anywhere near the advertised gas mileage because it had to be pushed so hard just to keep up. He averaged around 30mpg, I think. He was in constant fear for his life while driving it. He couldn't carry his mail to the Post Office. It went 0-60 by Tuesday...etc., etc., etc. In the end, he decided to sell it immediately, before the novelty wore off.

Oh yeah, my wife is begging me to buy her one.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote