View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #14
Hops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-00BoxsterS
People here are usually so respectful when they post a reply

My apologies for not being more thorough but when I did this, I was not expecting to pass my finding off as fact.
I agree with you. I've only seen a few people bicker on here, and I don't understand the point of taking time out of your day to go online and bicker with someone. This is by and large a very friendly forum.

Thanks for providing a little more detail on your method. I am glad you ran your tests. None of the rest of us have gotten off our arses and done it. If I come across as an analyst or something, well, I am. It would be cool to get enough data with enough variables trapped to really get a read on how big of a factor octane rating is in the overall fuel economy of our cars.

Unfortunately the number one factor is our right feet. I've done as high as 28mpg and as low as 16mpg in my '05 987S. As I think about this a little more, the best measure may be mpg over a controlled course using the onboard computer. So, driving multiple runs on a defined section of highway with the cruise set at 65 (or whatever) and resetting the onboard mpg at the beginning of each run might be the best apples to apples comparison... and it wouldn't take months to complete. Of course, this doesn't necessarily reflect the mpg difference in normal driving patterns, but it would be a start.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote