View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #7
Brucelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-00BoxsterS
I also owned a BMW E46 323is that I daily drive. Last year I did a test where I filled up 10 tanks with 87 and 10 tanks with 93. I started the test with the tanks completely filled and ended them filled. I then averaged all 10 tanks so the differences in volume should be very minimal.

I know this test was not very scientific since there are variables I didn't account for (like driveling style, conditions, weather, etc..) but I tried to keep everything as consistent as possible.

End results: Although I could not feel a difference in performance, I did notice my fuel economy went up 12% while the added cost went up only 8% (this is back when fuel was 3 dollars a gallon) so it was actually less expensive for me to run premium over standard (as fuel prices rise, the savings is even greater.) Couple this with the fact that the car was designed to run on premium (like the Boxster) and my decision became a no brainer.

That is interesting work and I think it synchs up with the theory on octane and mielage. Thanks for telling us.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote