View Single Post
Old 03-02-2005, 07:48 AM   #7
Slabsurfer

Thanks! Your information did help.

When I step back and really look at the costs, I remember that a routine oil change on my Honda costs $30 to $40 every 3K I put on the clock. If I spent $40 (for premium/synthetic oil and service) at every 3K interval that I put on my car, I’ve spent $200 at 15K miles…

Your story about the ’97-’99 year model cars sound about right, from what I’ve been able to find. -Higher mileage cars need those tweaks when sensors get old and worn out. Just like brakes, tires, suspension and some seals, -these are considered consumables that wear with age and use. They all needed engines replaced and most got new 2.5 motors, and needed some over-all manufacturing refinements.

It seems as if the best bet is to find a 2000 or 2001 model with 40 to 60K miles on it, and get an extended warranty of some sort, to function as an insurance policy for maintenance costs.

I test-drove one with a 2.7L in it, and it performed just fine (price was beyond my reach at $24,000). I don’t think there’d be too much difference between an 2.5L and a 2.7L engine. However, I really want an “S” model, -not only for the larger displacement, but for the better brakes and suspension. (I’m one of those who would notice a difference in torque. -the Honda S2000 2.0L didn't have enough...)

I’ve only seen a relative few ’00 and ’01 models that were priced in the upper teens to low twenty’s. -Add an “S”, and the price goes up a full $10K (here in the mid-west, at least).

I’m a driver first. I had a Fiero while I was in college. With the mid-engine configuration and a V-6, I absolutely loved the way it handled and performed. While it didn’t actually blow the doors off the other sports cars at the line, it was such a rush to throw the car into a corner and watch it rocket out on the other side. I just hated the maintenance on it, though. It was *always* in the shop for one repair or another. -Which I why I was interested in this post.

I want to get back to a similar engine lay-out in my daily driver, but can’t afford the 911s, NSXs or any of the Italian varieties. -That leaves me with either the Spyder by Toyota, or the Boxster… not much of a comparison in my opinion. That’s why I’m here looking at this forum, to see if I could really make this work.

Thanks again!
B
Slabsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote