View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #24
RandallNeighbour

When I was a much younger man (let's make that a span from 8 years old to my early 20's) I wondered why the only people I saw driving Porsches were old farts... and they were driving them sloooooly too. Made absolutely no sense to me. But that was a function of my young years. I'm 46, working hard to lose weight, balding and turning gray, by the way.

I'm betting that the profile of a Porsche owner in the US is a middle aged male, even though young college grads are driving nice cars and even high schoolers are buying older boxsters or having them bought for them by their parents.

The Boxster is not practical for hauling a family around, so people whose kids are gone are going to be the natural target market for the car.

Insurance on my old boxster, worth less than $15k is as high as my Lexus LS400 here in Houston. Younger people, especially unmarried males under 25, get hammered on insurance in the Houston area. That's another reason owners are older persons.

Men pine for a sports car their whole lives. Women, not so much.

Maintenance ain't cheap either on Porsches of any variety, and that takes disposable income after the purchase and insurance is paid up for the year... that takes out another batch of young drivers who are paying off school debt, saving for their first home, saving for college for their kids, etc.

I've written this before, but when I was a kid my mom used to say "there's a man in a midlife crisis" whenever she saw 50 year old guy driving a Harley or a Porsche.

And that's why at a very early age I prayed to God, asking him, "Please let me have my midlife crisis sooner than later, and God, let it last a long time."

BTW, while some old guys do have midlife crises and buy expensive sports cars, I firmly believe the members of this forum bought a boxster because they saw it in 1997 and though, "I gotta own one of those!" just like I did.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote