View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 09:16 AM   #20
eqs

You know I was thinking LoveBunny, the thing about the PSM - I have stability control on our Benz (rwd) - a little switch on the dash, like the Boxster. I mentioned to my wife and kids that I was driving up a mountain road to go skiing recently and was going up no problem on a skiff of snow on new all-seasons when I had the bright thought of turning off the switch to see what would happened - how much traction would be lost...

Well what a stupid mistake. Once I touched the switch I did a 360. I was so freaked out and I was lucky too. Nothing happened thank goodness as I tried it when there was no one around me, but it sure hit my ego hard. I thought I was a decent driver and that incident made me realize that without all the electronic doodads nowadays - you are a bad driver. It's just that all that stuff hides your driving flaws and you can drive without ever knowing this. I like to do little experiments to find the car's limits and my limits to avoid mishaps on our roadways. If others did this, our roads would definately be safer.

A good way to learn how to feel a car is by turning off all stability control and driving in snow on a empty parking lot. I know nowadays this may be impossible as new cars sometimes don't trust you and don't allow you to turn everything off. I learned in my first droptop as a teenager in my Triumph way back. That brings back memories actually, my wife was my girlfriend back then... oh the memories...

Well I'm back again... anyways try things on the road when it's safe, to push yourself and your car just a little. You'll appreciate your car more and have lots more fun at the same time. I did this to show my honey what the 987S can do last night, and reminisced about back in the low powered Triumph days and she remembered too. She says however that her eyes are closed shut when I push things. This I do not recommend.

Finally, I saw a youtube clip about the 911 on topgear with that Jeremy guy and it was amazing what they were doing with the 997, and it didn't upset and spin as the PSM was on. That PSM is simply amazing - it allows the common man/woman (ie. non racecar driver) to drive that thing at very high speeds cornering full on.

The Boxster is a fun car and if you drive it in a safe manner, you can have as much fun as on a roller coaster - and come home in one piece to boot.

Anyways, cheers.
eqs is offline   Reply With Quote