View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 06:11 AM   #37
renzop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub2348
the thing is, i dont have time and money on my side. im a junior in high school and im looking to spend under $15 for a boxster that i can enjoy during my last two summers at home. so a '00 or newer would probly not be an option...
Kid,

Don't do it. You can't afford it. I speak from experience.

In 1978 I was 22 and just out of college. I had a little money in my pocket and got an ok starter job. I bought a used Porsche 914. It took every cent I had to buy the car. The clutch went out 1000 miles later. The car sat for two months and I took the bus to work while I earned the money for the clutch job.

About 2 months after the clutch was repaired, the heat exchangers rusted out. Every time I turned on the heat the cockpit filled with exhaust fumes. I spent the winter driving with no heat and the windows open.

In June of that year State inspection was due. It failed because of a blown shock, a bad foglight, the heat exchangers and no broken windshield washers. This time the car sat for 4 months while I earned the money for repairs.

After missing the summer, I got the car back on the road but I realized that it was not reliable enough for a daily driver. I bought a used Impala for $500 and it ran without repairs for 5 years.

Rust finally got the better of the 914. In 1983 it started eating halfshafts. Turns out the upper rear mounts were completely rusted out. Repairs would have cost way more than I paid for the car originally. I gave up.

I had fun with the 914, but If I had waited a few years I could have saved the money to buy a nice one.

Learn form my mistake. If you only have enough money to just afford the purchase price of a car then it must be totally reliable. A '97 Boxster with high mileage is not that kind of car.

REgards,
Alan
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote