View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
RandallNeighbour

Yes. Wait.

I bought a 97 four years ago for $15,500 and have put $8000 into repairs and fixing it up to look newer and feel like a car I wanted to keep for five or ten years.

Buy a much newer S model with the larger engine, even if you have to sacrifice a lot for the next two years and save every penny you can find to scrape up another $10-15k.

The cheapest and oldest Porsche you find to buy will undoubtedly be the most expensive and frustrating Porsche to own.

Most recently, I replaced the brake discs and pads. The discs were original equipment, and the caliper bolts had not been removed and were rusted on, tearing out the aluminum in the wheel carrier to get them out. Cost me a couple of hundred extra to buy a tap insert kit and a whole extra day of aggravation.

Now, a couple of months later, I think one of the aftermarket rotors I put on is warped because I get bad vibration when I hit the brakes while at freeway speeds.

Old Porsches always have something wrong with them and always need something fixed.

Look for an 03 S or younger car. This model year and younger have glass rear windows (so you don't have to get out of the car when you drop the top to crease the plastic window) and better interiors. The 05 models forward have MUCH nicer interiors and bigger engines.

If you can only afford a $13k boxster right now, delay buying one until you can buy a very low mileage garage queen 03S or younger and you will not regret waiting a year or two, I promise!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote