View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 03:33 AM   #6
ut_cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
^^^^ agree w/ rick3000 ^^^^^

please edit your post in paragraphs. It's been a long day and my eyes are fuzzy so I can't focus to read all your questions. Anyhow, you can use coaxials in the doors, but there is a filter in the amp that only sends lows to the doors. Unless you also change the amp, only wire up the woofer part of the speaker (you can eliminate the crossover if you'd like)

Regarding upgrading the doors.... plain and simple, just make baffles. I tried swapping 3 sets of 5.25" to replace the stock drivers. 2 sounded worse than OEM, one was maybe as good as........ Crux of the problem is 5.25" speakers by their very nature, w/out boat loads of power, simply cannot produce any reasonable low end due to size. Trust those of us who've been down this road, make the baffles (very easy to do) and put either 6.5", 6.75" or 6x9" in. With the right combinations, you can keep the stock amp so everything still will look stock but sound great (including w/ the dash drivers). All the mods will be behind the door skin and grille.

Lots of info on this topic (including DIY guides and a baffle template ) are available here, on renntech and ppbb. Use the search feature and you'll find pretty much any answer you need.

Good luck
okay 3 questions- 1. are the DASH speakers 2 or 4 ohm impedence?
2. you said you switched out 3 sets of DOOR speakers, what was the set that sounded equilavent to the stocks (brand/model)?
3. were the sets in the doors that you switched out 2 or 4 ohm?

the reason why i ask is because infinity has a very nice component 5.25 set in a 2 ohm set-up...i was told by a crutchfield rep that they are perfect for porsches and sound much better.

i don't want to do the baffle because for one i'm trying to keep cost as low as possible so i want to do all the work myself... (wait before you tell me i can do it myself, read on)

i know i can easily do it myself, it would take a couple hours and sound better, etc. etc. .. but i am just worn down to the bone guys, i'm a 3rd year medical student and there are only 2 things important in life to me right now (other than family)... first is trying to save money, second is trying to use the few minutes i get everyday to relax, or honestly anything but sit in a garage and work on my car, cutting wood, going to home depot for wood, etc (now i hope you guys notice how the two most important things in my life pertain to this speaker upgrade?)

i would surely do it if someone would charge me $20 but after pricing it here with many people, privates, shops, and even trying to get people from the shops to do it after work, etc...they are all asking well over $100 just to do that one single homemade baffle which i know just takes a bit of time but its easy, so i'm not handing them my money.

i'm just going to keep it simple and put in the crappy 5's and live with it.

one last question: lets say you have 40 watts running to a component set, lets say a 4" and a tweeter with crossover... they are both 2 ohm...is it okay to switch out the 4" with a 4 ohm speaker but leave the tweeter there (which is 2 ohms)?

sorry about the previous confusing messages guys, i get a bit tired too and i get that "get off the computer" feeling so i type quick and leave. i hope this is clearer.

Last edited by ut_cougar; 04-18-2008 at 03:48 AM.
ut_cougar is offline   Reply With Quote