View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
yurkope

Sat radio in the boxster

I have had Sirius for several years now and I have tried a couple of different locations for the sat receiver. In the Box I have a Panny Strada GPS with the Sirius module. I first mounted the receiver under the front cowl as suggested on other forums. I liked this b/c it was hidden from view but I would lose signal occasionally (under overpasses).

Next I hardwired a similar unit as you are looking at in my Volvo S60 with the receiver on the trunk, exposed to the outside. I hardly ever loose signal in the Volvo, overpasses are no big deal and I even get a signal in covered parking garages.

So I tried to find an exterior location on the Box to improve my signal. I found a small area to pass the receiver thru to access the rear trunk and mounted the receiver just behind the 3rd brake light. It turns out I got about the same reception as under the cowl. I guess I didn't get the receiver high enough on the car to make a big difference, so it is back under the cowl.

The reason I went with a detached unit in the Volvo was so I can take the receiver inside to hook it up to my home theatre.

In the Volvo I was able to hide the wires pretty well in the cubby next to the factory radio. When the unit is in, you cannot see any wires and when I pull the unit to listen inside you can see three wires in the cubby that I tuck away. I think your second link would be a good way to mount the unit and hide wires.

If you would like any other details, let me know.