View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
releese78

HELP! Weird driveability problem

I have a very strange problem that is making it quite unsafe to drive my car. Sometimes (usually within the first 15 minutes of driving on any given day), my car will feel like it's going to stall and eventually does. The throttle does not respond at all and it sounds like misfiring cylinders (bubbling, back-fire sound heard). The worst part is that there is no rhyme or reason and when I'm about to cross traffic, sometimes I can't go anywhere and force others to slam on their brakes as to not hit me. Usually I can tell this is going to happen because on that particular day, it will start and immediately stall. I have to rev it a few times to get going. This is somewhat rare though, usually it starts flawlessly and runs like a bat out of hell.

Since this problem has started, I have changed the fuel filter, K&N air filter, belt, plugs, and routine oil changes, and cleaned MAF. All have had no effect. There are no other engine mods other than de-snorkle (done after the problem started). The car runs at a steady 180-185 degrees, coolant bottle and cap have been changed.

The vehicle is a 98 Box, TipTronic with 102k miles. No CEL light or codes present.

Another bit of information that may or may not be related, sometimes when slowing down (entering a toll booth for instance), it seems to downshift very hard, then when accellerating out, the trans seems to have a "dead hole" and almost slip for a few seconds. I am not the original owner, and am not sure as to wether the trans fluid has ever been changed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote