View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Have people had problems with the solid bars breaking? I don't normally check out Porsche Pete's board, but I did some searches over there and didn't find anything. I haven't seen anything on Renntech or Babblers either... Way to go Blinkwatt, starting awful rumors!

I think the setup that blue2000s came up with looks good. I would caution you on one thing though - use anti-seize on the threads of the heim joints. You're using a steel heim joint in an aluminum bar. Dissimilar metals don't get along well and will eventually fuse together. That's why I personally use steel heim joints with a steel bar and aluminum heim joints with an aluminum bar. Now this may not be a big concern in this application though if you just install the bar, set it, and then never touch it again. I'm just saying this is something to consider.
Kirk,

You've got that backwards. Mating threads of similar materials will tend to bind due to what's called galling. When two parts are screwed together, they rub against each other. It is important that one of these materials gives and not the other to avoid them both deforming and clogging up the thread. This is a well known and documented phenomena.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote