Thread: Sub & Amp Pics
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #11
Cloudsurfer

I know many of the other members here utilize the same 8" JL 8WO install that I have in my car, and yes, it sounds very musical and offers decent output. A LOT of homework went into designing that sub, and based on my audio background, I'm at a complete loss to understand your logic on how this could work.

I have seen some 996 guys build a bandpass box into the FRONT trunk, and tune it through a port into the cabin through the right hand drive steering shaft hole in the firewall. I have heard one of these cars and it wasn't bad- punchy, but over a narrow frequency range as it to be expected of a bandpass box.

Now, with the subs in the REAR trunk of a 986, BEHIND the engine, BEHIND the SEALED firewall, how do you plan on hearing anything? Sure, you're vibrating the hell out of the metal, and yes you will feel that, and you are losing plenty of SPL to the outside environment, but since you have no channel by which to tune this into the cabin, and no, there aren't plenty of leaks in the firewall, I'm really at a loss as to how this is a good idea.

Sorry to disagree with your findings.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote