View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 AM   #10
jwade

Ice, "Also, how much realistically is it for a good PPI? - My answer, around 500 bucks and they will do everything....That was from Jim Ellis Porsche in Atlanta, GA done recently in early Feb '08. The Owner paid it which said alot....Ended up paying for a 15k service in the process for $650. 30k service runs about 1000.

I was searching like you, but spent almost 2 years looking for the one I wanted. Why, because I wanted one as close to perfection as I could get. Ended up getting an '01 S that was highly optioned and in the color combo I wanted (Red / Savannah beige full leather). I did pay for that ($27,000 by the way) this January, but the original owner had taken such good care of the car, I couldn't resist..figured what the hell, they hadn't even driven it in the rain and it spent 95% of it's life in southern california and never a night outside...you would really have to see it to believe it.

As far as mileage, mine came to me with just over 13,200 on the clock and it actually worried me a little being so low. Since the purchase, I have only driven back from Atlanta and riden around town / country here in TN, and I must say a Boxster is one of the most satisfying cars I have ever driven!!!Period.

If you like a little power, you may want the S version as it has more goodies, but definately do your options search through the front tag under the hood. It says alot. You can search Renntech.org for options codes. I actually have all the paperwork on mine and it was almost 62k new w/ out tax, title, and license fees that made her climb almost to 70k. The original owner almost cried handing me the keys and file folder for the car, but I assured him the car would be taken care of to the Nth degree and it will be.

Modding: I have found that mods are extremely expensive and from driving impressions of the stock vehicle, Porsche has done a great job engineering the car. I have been researching mods that affect performance, but do not taint the original OEM integrity of the car as I plan on keping it for a long time and maybe showing it eventually.

It appears that headers / exhaust systems make the best bang for the buck and I have a buddy out there that has just developed new headers w/ sport cats with all O2 sensors that will blow our minds. The O2 sensor deal is important...He owns a very reputable company and will be releasing them soon on the market.

In addition to that, if you are interested in mods, and I'm sure you will be, you need to read "Carefully" over the threads to weed out what is good and what is bunk. Other than headers, I will eventually "desnorkle" the car and add a nice exhaust system to compliment the new headers. The same guy that does the headers does the exhaust so they will be purchased together.

Might look at an intake eventually and GAIC ecu re-mapping, but that's it...Anything else and you will just need another car. About all you will gain with all these mods in place are approx. 25-30 hp, which is a good bump from the original S version's 250.

The S is very quick though without any modding. It drives very nice, even on the original oem tires, handles like it's literally on rails, and brakes like no other. You might get spanked by a muscle car off the line in a drag race, but that is NOT why you bought the Porsche. You have just bought a very classy auto and you will get all kinds of looks...It's actually pretty funny to see others look at the car as you drive down the road. It seems to also become a topic of conversation at the gas pump...

Good luck with your decision to purchase, but make sure you do the research and ask yourself if this is really the one?? As you can see, I went on with the S, but that's just me.

From the pictures you posted, you have the 18" Turbo wheels and it looks like interior is standard leather, but well kept and clean. Overall, good price considering the mileage, but definately have it inspected as maintenence costs are NOT cheap for these cars. Be careful of buddy deals too at the local import service shop. If you don't know them personally, I wouldn't trust them. Mine will always be dealer serviced other than tire change out.
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote