View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
racer_d

I'd budget $300 for a PPI. Perhaps more if you were having specialized tests done, such as an engine leakdown or compression checks. Some shops may even have a flat rate for a PPI since it is a popular thing for buyers to do, and all it ties up is about 1 hour for a tech to do.

The serpentine belt is rather inexpensive. Shops kill you with their "book rate labor". Despite its mid-engine location, the motor is pretty easy to access. Plus, you don't need to access it all that often. If you are willing to get a little dirty and have some time to read a manual (Bentley manuals are great) you could do it yourself.

Brake pads are another Do It Yourself job, especially if you buy a motive power bleeder. I'd be curious how long that brake fluid has been in the car. If more than 2 years, it needs to be flushed out. Brake fluid attracts moisture, and moisture ruins the fluid's properties, plus causes corrosion within the brake system.

I am not sure what Porsche charges for a 30K miles service, but $1500-$2K, depending on what else they "find wrong" wouldn't suprise me.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote