View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #15
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
Hi everyone, new to the forum and signed up for this exact reason. I am not the owner of the 99 Boxster, but I convinced my sister to buy it and taught her how to drive it (5-speed), and I pretty much take care of it for her in the off-season. As I said, I am faced with this same issue of getting to the battery, since this past month it has been very cold and the battery just got discharged. I've been looking around and seeing plenty of different things to do, but some of them really don't appeal to me, and if I can avoid them I will.

How can I be sure that the 99 actually has or doesn't have that thing in the fuse box that I can hook a jumper cable up to? Is there a picture on the forum anywhere so that I know what I'm looking for? I pulled down the fuse box cover and took a look around, but it didn't look like there was anything to be pulled out. I did see this purplish-red colored rectangular thing right above where my left knee would be with wires leading into it, but it will not budge, so I don't think this is what I'm looking for.

So, if the 99 does have this lead that a pos. jumper cable can connect to, is it actually there in the fuse box? If so, is it in a corner? And does this run the risk of shorting any fuses or any electronics in the vehicle if I do it myself vs. hauling the car to the Porsche dealer in the next city. Thanks in advance for any help, and I must say I'm very impressed with this forum and am glad to be a part of it. Thanks again!

-O/D
The '99 does not have the FuseBlock jumper. Your problem is that the hood latch (which is mechanical only on the '99) lever is locked when the car is locked by a sort of cam which, for security's sake, will not allow the lever to be lifted if the car is locked.

You can either supply power to the battery through the cigarette lighter - enough to at least activate the locks. Once the locks are open, this cam moves away and allows the lever to be lifted and the hood opened.

As mentioned, there is a way to physically move this cam using a thin needle or pick-type tool.

Either buy a maintainer that works through the lighter, or get what is called a Memory Maintainer like this: http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=52

The 9V Battery is sufficient to at least open the locks, it'll drain pretty fast, but will the trick.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote