Thread: Need advice
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #13
Perfectlap

Hmm....I might disagree on negotiating first and checking out 2nd.

There's two problems with that approach.
1- You might not be so impressed with car when you see it.
2-They may not take your offers as seriously as if you put face time into it.

This is what I ALWAYS do:
I call and say "yeah how's it going I'm calling about this car". Ask all the basic questions that you should know before seeing it. Car history, accidents, repairs, dents, dings, tires, etc. Ask them to give you a 1-10 scale of 10 being right off the boat new. If you like what you hear take the trip but LEAVE THE WALLET AND CHECKBOOK AT HOME! Salesmen are very very good. You'll go in just to see it and once you are in fro the test drive you are as good as closed.
Never never ever ever ever make a deal with a salesmen on your first trip to the dealer. NEVER!!!
Check out the car drive it, see if you like it and go right back home without even leaving a deposit and don't tell them "I'll call you on Friday". Tell them you have to talk it over with your wife since she is the CFO of the house. Don't make an appointment of when you will speak again. But be friendly to the sales guy and DON'T let them sit you down "at the table". If they try to get you to sit down run out of there! Sitting at the table is just like giving them thousands of dollars.]
Basically the trip to the dealership is for your knowledge and piece of mind regarding the condition of the car and NOT for any manner of negotiating.

Wait a few days. See if they call you first. If they don't call you then make a call and say "I talked to my wife and she's not crazy about buying a Porsche in this economy but I think I can sway her". Then make a really lowball offer and this is the important part: DON'T SAY ANOTHER WORD AFTER YOU NAME THE PRICE.
Wait to see what they say. If they say no or I have to talk to the manager, say"Ok, let me know". When they call back with the a higher counter offer say "well let me run it my wife". Wait a day to go by. Then call back with a marginally higher offer than your initial offer. In other words you are basically ignoring their counter offer. Keep at it with "I have to check with my wife" until they call you back with a yes or an offer that is SLIGHTLY more than your previous offer. If they say "no we can't do it for that price" and they don't offer to check with manager then just say "Alright thanks anyway" and hang up. That will really hurt them and they will go back to their desks thinking about the missed sale. See if they call you back, I bet you they do. A good salesmen will never walk away from a deal on price when you are at least close on price. Certainly not in this economy.

p.s.
Good suggestion on faxing the outdoor the price. This can be negotiated as well.
I had to recently walk out of a deal because they tried to tack on a $800 dealer fee at the last minute, literraly. My folks were about to sign when I said "what's that for?" and they said "dealer fee, everyone pays it". And I said "????what do my folks get for that"? and they're like "uh sorry that can't be negotiated". To which I respond "so in other words they don't get anything for that? ok Have a nice day". They all looked at me with jaws open as we walked right out and drove away.
The next day a really junior sales guy was put on grovel duty and said "ok we will drop the dealer fee". I was inclined to bust balls and say "well since last night I saw another car this morning and I'm not so crazy about the price we agree to".
But I had to leave Florida that day. But you get the point. Don't let them add in any extra fees at the end for things you aren't getting something for.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-01-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote