View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 04:58 AM   #1
Jen

Wink Last day of the month, last day of the quarter, late at night on a rainy day...

After another test drive on the 2003 S, I'm getting closer to a decision. The only thing that I noticed was that the idle may have been a bit rough. On the whole, the engine seemed to purr. Alignment seemed fine, as did the clutch and brakes. All the warning lights were functional. There were a few minor rock indents on the front bumper, and *no* manual or maintenance records. (Although I have spoken with the original Porsche dealer that did the 30k and 45k services, both on time). The car has fresh tan oil in it, but I have no idea what kind they used...

Options on the car are pretty good: 18" wheels with new-looking Michelin Pilot Sport tires. Factory-installed headlamp washer/Xenon headlamps (288/601), heated seats, PSM, cruise control, wind deflector and the 680 Bose digital sound package (with rear speaker but not the rear box thing). It's a Valmet car, seal grey with grey partial leather interior. The brake pads looked fairly fresh; I'll have to check on how much rotor is left

I'm taking the car for a PPI today (Porsche dealership). We'll see what they find and then see whether the selling dealership wants to bargain. It's at a high-volume used-car dealer associated with a Chevy lot, and they've had the car for a month without many test-drives so far... End of the month, etc. But then, spring is coming and they may decide to hold on to it... We'll see.

If the PPI checks out, I'm going to wave the recent damning Consumer Reports around, fret visibly over the lack of maintenance records and upcoming 60k maintenance and see what the sales guy can do... Their internet price is $24,800, and I'd like that to come down significantly (15% or more). I don't have to have this car (and am inclined to keep my cash in the bank in this recessionary economy), however it would be nice! It's an incredibly fun drive.

We'll see how this proceeds...

-- Jennifer
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote