View Single Post
Old 03-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
edevlin

First Autocross Today

So, I went to Richmond International Raceway for my first autocross today sponsored by Euroclassics Porsche of Richmond and the PCA. having never been to an autocross before and I had this idea that I would be in a nice, flat parking lot with no nearby walls to run into and with me driving the course at a fairly low speeds.....NOT!

The autocross was setup on the oval of the RIR NASCAR track. The RIR is a excellent high-tech NASCAR track with a very smooth surface and quite steep banks at the turns. There was a great group of 30+ Porsches and their drivers for the blustery day's events. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, especially for a novice like me. One of the highpoints of the day was that I got the chance to meet another boxster board member who has good taste in cars (same color, year and wheels as mine....).

The first thing that I was impressed by was how much skill it took to navigate the course and how difficult it was to remember where to go on the course while at speed. The other thing that impressed me was what poor times I was turning in on the course.

But, I must say that the main thing that that I found impressive about the day's events was what it felt like to put the car into a high-speed spin on the back corner of the track, thank the gods for steeply-banked tracks. All I could remember was "both feet in in a skid", I did what I was told and it worked. It was all great fun. I especially enjoyed the part where I got back home without any damage to my car from bashing into wall (I stopped about 3 feet away after the skid). Let's see now, when is the next one of these things going on.......

Ed

:dance: :dance: :dance:

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote