View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
dkh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
I think I'll be going to the one the following weekend at Pennington Field. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
Hi Jeph - Wish you could make it for this one! My wife and I scrubbed off a lot of tire rubber two weekends ago on our Boxster at Mineral Wells at the Maverick Region autocross school. A very full and very fun day of instruction and practice! I like Mineral Wells for the size of that huge parking lot and the fast autocross courses that can be designed on it - but the distance out there and the brutal texture of the asphalt are the negatives. Pennington Field (and I hope Birdville Stadium) is quite a bit more gentle on tires but also much shorter/slower than the "MineralRing". I've heard that the available space on the Birdville Stadium lot is going to be a little bit larger than Pennington Field - so maybe a little bit longer course and possibly a little bit higher speeds. I compared a Google map satellite view of Pennington Field and Birdville Stadium and it looks like Birdville is a little bit bigger - but with widely spaced light poles which they will have to design the course around - which could possibly end up making it smaller after all.

Speaking with the Maverick region member in charge of locating space for the autocrosses, he mentioned we may be using the Ballpark in Arlington (or whatever it's called now) parking lot for a future autocross. I think he also said there will be more events out at Birdville Stadium too.

I may be able to make the Pennington Field event too but at this point it looks unlikely.

Hope to see you at one of them during the season though!

Ken
dkh is offline   Reply With Quote