Thread: 3.6 boxster
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
tholyoak

Actually the price is in line with what shops are charging to do the conversion. The ad states a new motor was used so:
motor $15k
proper custom exhaust, off the shelf 986 exhausts are too small for a 3.6 >$2k
ecu changes, clutch, flywheel, pp, etc to deal with increased hp and torque, custom intake from filter to TB ~>/=$3000
misc intallation parts $500-1000

On a pre-2001 car if you do it correctly and integrate the 7.8 DME there are several other parts needed along with custom fabrication that are worth several thousand dollars. This is why most shops won't convert a pre-2001 to a 3.6 or 3.8 motor and why the conversion like this one I believe was done using the original 7.2 DME and a piggyback controller. It gets expensive to do properly.

So now you are into the $20's if you do things properly with all new parts and you haven't even covered the labor to do the work.

Could you do it cheaper, yep, but if you are paying a shop to do the work and starting with a factory crate motor 20-25k is about right.

Things add up quickly.

Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve00s
$24,000 seems like a bit much on the conversion. I wonder where they got the 3.6 and what its history is. Still, it would be an awesome ride. I don't see where the extra HP would negatively affect the characteristics of the car. If it was 500HP I could see where it might be unmanagable.
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote