View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 06:48 AM   #8
ccarlisl

Hello again,

Quote:
Originally Posted by three1seventy
happy b-day to me...it is my 38th ...i have a question for you...did you have any leaking from the car..or was the noise very pronounced and getting worse before the 60k checkup??? mine is tip top no leaks...and quiet as a mouse when in idle...the check engine light came on once...a week after purchase..and scared the hell out of me...the next day it was gone and has not returned..the car drives perfect...i have my 60k tune up the first week of april 08...i have 59311 on the odometer...should i be worried...im not a mechanic but i attribute the check engine light coming on breifly..to the fact that the car sat from oct07 at the dealership until 3-1-08 my bday and probably had some fouling in one of the plugs that needed to be cleared out..let me know if that sounds crazy...but it run like brand new...thanks for your insight.

collin

I didn't notice any bad leaks. There certainly wasn't a puddle under the car but I swear I saw a drop of oil gathering on the underside of the car one day. Next day, after a drive it was gone and never came back. The drivetrain noise I heard was the throw out bearing I think. I only heard it when the clutch was in. It was pretty loud but never got any worse. Never got a service engine light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
$4500 seems quite pricey. How much of that is the RMS and clutch?

They still have the car so I'm not sure yet. Very interested as well though. They did tell me that they are replacing the RMS with a new one they use on 911's as well that is bulletproof. Not sure how accurate that is..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracke30m3
The brakes are an easy DIY job.

As for the clutch and RMS, $1500 should cover parts and labor for the clutch at independent Porsche shops. They can easily change the RMS while they are in there replacing the clutch. Oil leaks from the spark plugs can be solved by replacing the plug tubes and O-rings, another DIY job with parts costing less than $100.

I think you should be able to find an independent shop that will tackle the brakes, RMS, clutch, sparkplug tubes for about $2000.

You're absolutely right. I know it's the dealership and I'm probably getting reamed but I just needed to get it done. I'm moving this weekend and unfortunately don't have time to do any of this myself or find a good independent shop. I used to enjoy doing basic work like brakes on my RX-7's but I told myself after I got this car that I'm letting the professionals service it.

On another note, I'd like to take this time to inform everyone in the Upstate SC area about the level of service at Porsche of Greenville in Greenville, SC. Like I said, I heard from a friend that they were a reputable shop but I'm starting to disagree.

I took the car in last week on Tuesday around 5:00pm. They called me on Wednesday morning with their findings and the bad news and told me it would be ready Friday afternoon (that week). Friday rolls around and I haven't heard anything. At 5:30 I decide to call for an update. They told me that had to order some parts so it probably wouldn't be ready until "the beginning of the week". I don't know what their definition of "the beginning of the week" is but it's Wednesday and I still haven't heard anything. I'm afraid to call back; I don't want to sound like an a-hole but this is getting ridiculous. I understand they have a lot of work to do but don't tell me it'll be ready on Friday if it's not gonna be ready. And now it's been over a week and I haven't heard squat. I mean, calling me with an update every now and then is just common courtesy. If their customer service is this bad, I'm a little worried about what they're doing to my car. And you think with the kind a business I'm giving them, they might try a little harder. In my experience, I would steer clear of this dealership.
ccarlisl is offline   Reply With Quote